Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Maine Highlands Region

   After being at Acadia National Park for eight days, Ranman and I were ready to move away from the coast and into the mountains. A couple of fellow campers recommended the Moosehead Lake region which is approximately located in the middle of Maine. The scenery is stunning and the wildlife is abundant.
  There are 2 resident does that hang around the beach picnic area and feed near the campsites. They will allow you to approach them and are even indifferent to cars as they pass by. We were also lucky to see a doe and her fawn. Even though I still haven't seen a moose, I am hopeful we will see one before leaving tomorrow for New Hampshire. There are signs everywhere cautioning motorists to be on the lookout for moose since the incidence of crashes is very high in this area.
  Lily Bay State Park is our current address. It is a very nice campgound with very large, private campsites. Even though there are no electric or water hookups, there is a very nice "comfort station" that has several large bathrooms with showers and flush toilets big enough for an entire family to use together. The cost for 3 nights was around $77.
  There is a small tourist oriented town nearby called Greenville. We have found very few good places to eat during our travels since tourist towns have a captive audience and don't go out of their way to "wow" you with their cooking. The exception in Greenville is a food truck operated by a single French (Canadian?) woman selling wonderful crepes. Her simple offerings far exceeded our expectations and I would not hesitate to recommend her food over any of the local and more expensive restaurants.
  After completing this trip and attempting to prepare for our next leg, I finally had to concede to getting a Garmin GPS device to assist us with navigation. Up until today, Austin and I have been guiding Randy and the Tin Zen Den through the use of my cell phone.  It has been working adequately, but there have been a handful of times where I missed a turn or was unsure if I was going the right way. I usually mapped out our route by getting a screen shot of the line by line text directions because actively navigating with Google or Maps was eating up our monthly data.
  This worked out just fine as long as there weren't too many quick turns. As a last resort, I would doublecheck our position with the apps, but found that our limited cellular coverage was impeding our progress AND my safe driving. All of this referrring to my IPhone or IPad was driving me a little batty and I was feeling a lot of pressure because it's hard to find a good place to turn around that Airstream when I screwed up!   Thankfully Randy has been the most patient of drivers and has never gotten upset over my mistakes. However, he does hate it when I get too far ahead of him on the highway :).
  We tested out the Garmin on the way back from Bangor and it is the bomb!  Unlike a cell phone, a Garmin uses coordinates from a satellite to navigate.   I have no idea why I was trying to make everything so difficult. I suppose I was trying not to have products that duplicate functions and I should have consulted some experienced car travelers for advice.... another lesson learned.
  Dinner was very good tonight. Ranman grilled steaks and I made a chimichurri sauce to accompany them. This Argentinian dish also works well on lamb or grilled fish.

Argentinian Chimichurri Sauce (Food Network)

1 cup lightly packed chopped flat leaf parsley
3-5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
2 tblsp fresh oregano (optional)
2 tblsp chopped shallot or onion
3/4 cup olive oil
3 tblsp red or sherry wine vinegar
3 tblsp lemon juice

Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until finely chopped, but not pureed.








No comments:

Post a Comment